¿Sin ganas de leer mucho? Date una vuelta por el Tumblr de Su Nombre en Vano

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One nation, indivisible

Today I became a U.S. Citizen.

I certainly don't feel the common attachment to my original nationality, given that nationalism seems very irrational to me, considering people take pride on something they didn't do anything to get, which is, being born in some specific part of the world. Yeah, kind of like religion.

Getting my citizenship is more a practical thing. Since the United States have been my home for the last 5 years and will be for many more, it just seems logical to get my nationality. Also, if I'll be living here, I would like to influence in its public policy, even if it is just by voting. I certainly will vote.



Yes, Democrat. I don't abhor the free market economy, but I won't be voting republican, at least not until they stop having candidates who can't tell the age of the Earth correctly.

The ceremony was pretty long, I think the judge arrived late. But it was worthy especially for the moment of the pledge of allegiance. The man who lead us to say it did it like this:

I pledge allegiance
to the flag of the United States of America,
and to the republic for which it stands,
one nation, indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all.


I was thrilled. I had a big smile in my face and in the end went looking for that guy. I had to thank him for that.

Anyway, today you can count another American Atheist.

3 comments:

  1. ¡Felicidades! De todos modos, es una lástima para Perú. Me odiarás por esto, pero confío en que algún día regreses :D

    Un fuerte abrazo desde Lima.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! And, I have to tell: USA DO NEED MORE ATHEISTS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias a ambos, en realidad me gustaría volver para conocer, pero me quedo a vivir en USA, al menos hasta que vea la oportunidad de visitar otros lugares.

    ReplyDelete

Blasfema libremente

"Que esté permitido a cada uno pensar como quiera; pero que nunca le esté permitido perjudicar por su manera de pensar" Barón D'Holbach
"Let everyone be permitted to think as he pleases; but never let him be permitted to injure others for their manner of thinking" Barón D'Holbach